Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The stars at night, are big and bright...

I have mentioned my love for the great state of Texas before, and I have, on numerous occasions been asked why it holds such a dear place in my heart. So I have compiled a list (ah, my lovely peace-inducing lists) of the various aspects of Texas that make me oh-so-very-happy:


-Here in Texas it is not sufficient to merely support our favorite Texas collegiate sports program, we also disparage the other schools, as evidenced by 'Saw 'Em Off' car decals...

-The wild Texas flora & fauna! Bluebonnets and tulips actually grow on the side of the road. If you drive south from Dallas to Houston (Hey Aunt Sheryl and Uncle Steve!) you will see literally thousands of sunflowers growing wild. And in the fall, oh in the fall, you will see tumbleweeds. Real tumbleweeds. Out of a John Wayne-western-movie-style tumbleweeds. For real.


-Shiner Bock and St. Arnold's. St. Arnold's is a micro-brew that comes out of Houston. If you ever get a chance, check out the brewery tour...not only do you get to sample the yummy fermented grains, but you can observe the eclectic artists that plop down at pic-nick tables and um, create 'masterpieces'. Shiner Bock is a Texas institution and I have actually met a very nice doggie named Shiner, who is adorned with a bottle-cap style dog tag. It was originally made in Shiner, TX and in the prohibition the original brewer made 'near-beer'...hmmm interesting. As a side note, Shiner is best enjoyed while eating at Hard 8.


-Hard 8 BBQ....massive mesquite pits....vast quantities of every meat imaginable...homemade jalapeno corn...food is weighed by the pound. You point to everything you want and they just pile it on the scale. It's a tradition to go there, when my friends the Robinson's are in town, even to point that a picture of the place is what pops up on my cell when Mrs. Robinson calls me. http://www.hardeightbbq.com/

-Texans loves their sports. There is no off-season here. You simply roll over from football (Go Cowboys) to basketball (Get 'em Mavericks), on into baseball (2010 American League Champs!). Wear some pretty blue and you can support all three teams year-round!

 -Texan pride is unrivaled. We are Texans and damn proud of it! I give you two prime examples:

A) When born in Texas, not only is the actual state illustrated in the background of your birth certificate, but for an extra fee, you can have a gigantic Texas star imprinted on it as well. And yes, before you ask, I DO have the star...However, giving a picture of my actual birth certificate is just stupid, so here is a different example:


B) Texas native and country cutie, Miranda Lambert sings one of my favorite songs, 'Texas as Hell'

I'm Texas as hell
Mean 'n ornery
I don't need no loud mouth
Comin' on to me
My temper gets hotter than red white and blue blazes
You know dog-gone well everybody can tell I'm Texas as hell

Well I know I haven't been around a long time
But I've heard my share of
Those worn out love lines
If you ain't redneck
Dont waste your time
Because right now I'm in a lone star state of mind

And I'm Texas as hell
Mean 'n ornery
I don't need no loud mouth
Comin on to me
My temper gets hotter than red white and blue blazes
You know dog-gone well everybody can tell
I'm Texas as hell

Well I guess you think that I'll be persuaded
But how many times do I have to say this
don't mess with me boy
For heaven's sake
Didnt anybody tell you messin with Texas was a big mistake



-The Mexican culinary influences are EVERYWHERE here! Now I grew up in South Florida, so I know there is a respectful difference between the different Latin-American backgrounds and cultures, and I HATE it when anyone Hispanic is labeled 'Mexican' in a derogatory manner. But I am talking about legitimate Mexican cuisine. I promise you that the minute you cross the Texas state line, or step into our airports off of a plane, within 5 minutes you could find amazing salsa and margaritas to make you eyes water.
-Keeping in the culinary theme, I present to you argument # 8 of why Texas is my favorite state: WG. WG is translated as white gravy and is served on chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes, traditionally, however, many native and naturalized Texans find excuses to put it on just about anything. It is bad for you. It is unsophisticated. It is amazing. It's butter, flour, milk and salt and pepper, but the extra kick my granddaddy, uncles, and mama use is bacon grease. yes, bacon grease. Trust me on this. Please.

-Everything sparkles in Texas. I mean that literally. For women, anyway. Jeans, belts, handbags, shoes, boots, nails, headbands, car decals, glasses, tank tops, bikinis, book bags, dog collars, wine bottles, candle holders, laptops, cell phones, notebooks....everything! I have even seen a be-dazzled shot-gun. I don't really know why Texas women feel the need to add sparkle to everything they own but it is very evident and very present here in Dallas, and has been observed directly in Houston and San Antonio as well.



-Everyone is welcome in Texas. You don't have to be born here to call yourself a Texan. Natives make the distinction, but we welcome you with open arms!






2 comments: