Monday, March 28, 2011

The Sunny Side of Life...

I have long been accused of being a pessimist. I posses an often caustic & sarcastic sense of humor. In the effort of self-improvement I have begun looking for the bight-side, or the silver lining of various situations and life-occurances. I am not very good at it…below is a list of the various ‘stressors’ and “Boo you!”s I have encountered in the past few weeks and the consequent optimism I have employed….again, I am not very good at it…


1)Rainy Day: Softens the blow of losing my favorite sunglasses

2)Being a student (STILL) : This is an unwaveringly reliable explanation for why I am not as fabulously rich as my fellow 20-somethings without having to explain the Dooney handbags, Nixon watch or why the nail salon manager not only knows my name but has also begun to call me just ‘Pretty Lady’ every time I come in. Being a student allows forgiveness for poverty and irresponsible spending-you’re still learning!

3) The NFL lockout: While my profession prohibits me from official comment (check out ESPN for the latest), as a red-blooded woman I have dug deep and figured out the following: the off-season is a time of rest and training; a time when my Boys work-out. As the lock-out equates to a longer off-season, I expect my Boys to come back in even better shape, which let’s face it, can never be a bad thing.

4)Periods: That extra 3 LBS? It really IS just water weight and you were NOT lying to yourself!

5) Being Single: See blog post-http://emilyelizabethnicoll.blogspot.com/2011/02/heres-to-finding-good-man.html

6) Going to Work: Work=money=spending more time with my friend who calls me ‘Pretty Lady’, see #2. If this silver-lining doesn’t cut it, I just check out the unemployment rates in America and that takes care of that.

7) Living MILES away from my closest friends: All communication has a higher value. When was the last time you really got down to the nitty-gritty with a friend? I mean the deep stuff…pouring your heart out and being brutally honest. When you can’t depend on sushi nights, shopping sprees, and movie dates to keep your friendships going you end up relying on the real stuff. While I would love to actually see my girls face-to-face, I wouldn’t trade what we have for a potentially shallow-er version. Friendships are like designer bags, no knock-offs please.

8) Schizophrenic Spring Weather: It may be bi-polar, not schizophrenic, I’d have to check the DSM, which I don’t keep in my back pocket, but the point is, every day you get about three different climatic changes….which also means that we are currently in the one season a year which allows you to wear absolutely ANYTHING in your closet without looking insane

9) The soda machine is broken at work –again.: This had led me to the budget friendly discovery of liter bottles at my desk. I cannot tell you how much money I have saved, or how thoroughly entertaining early morning trips to the local convenience store truly are. People are weird. In general.

10) Not being able to find Skinnygirl Margaritas ANYWHERE close to my home: No silver-lining….I’ll keep trying, but I’m pretty sure that I won’t be happy about this issue until I get what I want

No comments:

Post a Comment