Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Karma

In the 7th grade one of my best friends began complaining about how her eye hurt. She rubbed it over and over and it began to twitch. So I made fun of her. Then she went to the doctor and found out she had a scratched cornea. She didn't come to school for three days because she had to wear an eye patch. So I made more fun of her. It was all good-natured, she laughed along with all of the pirate jokes, and twitchy eye faces I made at her for years afterward, so don't go thinking that I went all MG on her...
HOWEVER...last night as I was laying in bed thinking about the fact that today is her 25th birthday and how great a person she is, my eye began to hurt. At 4:30 this afternoon I found out why: I have a scratched cornea.

6 weeks ago my brother won his school's science fair. He was invited to the district convention. He told my parents he did not want to go, it was not his 'cup of tea'. They made him. They giggled over the fact that he hated science and his science fair project, over the irony of him winning and having to go through with the convention. Then he came home with the notice that parental attendance was mandatory. Two weeks ago my family (minus me) got to the old state fair grounds at 8:00 a.m. and didn't leave until 6:30 p.m., after they had experienced over 150 middle school science fair presentations.

There is a really mean and nasty dog in my apartment complex. He/she/it growls and snarls at other people and my poor pup all the time. He/she/it stands at the window and goes bezerk anytime you walk past. He/she/it happens to live right by the mail boxes, so Pup and I encounter he/she/it frequently. I have never approached the owner about their fearsome (absolutely obnoxiously annoying) pet. Last week Pup slowly walked up to the creature, head bowed, little tail tucked and popped a squat right outside he/she/it's window.


These are super-silly, trivial examples of what I have been taught recently (except for my eye, it hurts like something you cannot imagine, unless you have given birth, and then maybe you know a little more about pain).I don't know all of the legitimate boundaries and principles of karma. I DO know my own faith. I am a Christian. A word to the wise: don't make fun of others (if you can help it). Another little nugget of wisdom? Don't worry about those who find joy in your pain...God does that for you.

"Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord" --- KJV

1 comment: