Friday, March 18, 2011

A little something different...

Colored paper bits on 3 inch thick wooden panel

My Granddaddy and I exchanged letters ever since I learned how to write. I still have most of them. I used envelopes from these letters and my trusty paints to create a little daily reminder of one of the most important people in my life.


While getting ready to make my most recent move, I came across the junk box that I have been carrying around for years. It was filled with all sorts of random tid-bits that I had collected over the years. I turned these objects into a fun mixed-media piece. The background is made from the street map I used on my first trip to London. There is a button from a visit to Graceland (I love Elvis) and from a camping trip with Westminster to Maine, and also one that was given to me at the hospital when my brother was born. A picture of the dock where I had my first kiss (awww) is in one corner and a matchbox from one of my absolute favorite South Beach cafes hangs from the gold frame. The silver mask is from one of my best childhood Halloween costumes.

1 comment:

  1. cool project! kind of reminds me of the art 3 project we did.... mine was terrible. shane got in trouble for stealing stuff from the art room to use & i dont remember yours... (sorryyy......)

    ReplyDelete